There are many things the female partner can do to prepare for pregnancy.
- Talk to her doctor about the prescription medicines she currently takes:
- Some prescription drugs are not recommended during pregnancy.14
- Avoid contact with chemicals at work & in the home:
- Pesticides, chemical fertilisers and petrochemicals can lead to pregnancy complications.14
- Sleep well & exercise:
- Adequate sleep and exercise are essential for general health, which supports reproductive health.14
- Ensure adequate nutrition:
- A healthy diet is essential for general health, which supports reproductive health.14
- Couples planning pregnancy may be interested to know that Elevit is a specifically formulated supplement
available for women planning pregnancy. Elevit should be taken 30 days prior to conception and throughout pregnancy to help reduce the risk of neural tube defects.
- Maintain a healthy weight:
- Women should ensure their body mass index is below 29 kg/m2 (and above 19 kg/m2) to maximise their chances of conceiving.14